The ERN Conference student travel award covers the conference registration fee, housing, airfare, and ground transportation.
***For travel award recipients, AAAS staff will process the conference registration and make the hotel arrangements.***
A limited number of travel awards are available for students who are selected for poster or oral presentations at the ERN Conference. (Please check with your advisor to determine if you should apply for a travel award.)
All applications will be reviewed and evaluated by the following criteria: (1) academic achievement and (2) STEM career interest. For award finalists, we will contact faculty mentors to verify student GPAs and for an explanation of why travel support cannot be paid from their NSF grant or other sources.
Eligibility for ERN Travel Award
ERN Travel Award applicants:
(A) Must be undergraduate or graduate students who participate in research or education projects funded by one of the following NSF programs or other research programs around the country*:
- Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP);
- Centers of Research Excellence in Science and Technology (CREST);
- Emerging Frontiers in Research and Innovation (EFRI-REM) Scholars;
- Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSI);
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities Undergraduate Program (HBCU-UP);
- Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP) and LSAMP Bridges to the Doctorate;
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs); and
- Tribal Colleges and Universities Program (TCUP).
(B) Must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident.
(C) Must be accepted to present a poster or oral presentation at the current ERN Conference in STEM. *Note – Students who identify as American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander or have a disability may be considered for a travel award even if they are not doing research, do not submit an abstract or their abstract is not accepted. A completed travel award application will still be required.
Student Travel Award Applications are OPEN
Student Travel Award application process opened on August 28, 2023 and will close at midnight (PST) on Sept. 22, 2023.
Key dates related to the 2024 travel award application process:
- Applications for travel awards must be submitted by the final extended deadline of 11:59 PM (PST) on Friday, September 22, 2023.
- Travel Award notifications will be sent to travel award applicants the week of October 20, 2023.
- Check out the roadmap for more important dates. Roadmap updated