Protected: ERN 2016 Video Contest – Rules & Disclaimer
OFFICIAL RULES FOR AAAS 2016 ERN CONFERENCE VIDEO CONTEST
1. Promotion Description: The AAAS “Science in a Minute” Video Contest (the “Contest”) begins on December 1, 2015 at 12:01:00 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) and the period for entering the Contest ends on January 8, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. ET (the “Entry Period”). At the end of the Entry Period, a panel (comprised of general reviewers selected by AAAS) will select the semi-finalists.
Entrants will be classified into one of seven categories based on the scientific field of the Entrant and/or subject matter featured in the Entrant’s submission: biological sciences; geosciences; engineering; computer and information science; math and physical sciences; and social, behavioral and economic sciences; and science and mathematics education. The designation of category will be determined solely by AAAS.
Submitted videos must contain closed captions and must explain — in an innovative, engaging and entertaining manner — an important concept in science related or unrelated to the Entrant’s own undergraduate or graduate research which is suitable for use with middle and high school students, as well as interested adults.
No more than six submissions will be chosen by the panel of general reviewers based on three parameters: scientific merit, artistic merit, and creative combination of the science and art.
Finalists will be notified by email and announced online by AAAS. The videos of the finalists will be screened at the 2016 ERN Conference in Washington, D.C. (February 25 – 27, 2016), during which the overall winners will be determined. The winner will be determined by a live audience vote during the ERN Conference.
Prizes for finalists will consist of a complimentary 1-year AAAS student membership and a cash prize per category of $500 for first place, $250 for second place, and $150 for third place. Up to two participants from each winning group will receive travel awards to the 2016 ERN Conference.
By participating in the Contest, each entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor which shall be final and binding in all respects.
2. Eligibility: Only individuals who are all university-level students participating in NSF Human Resources and Development (HRD) and other Programs. This includes but is not limited to: undergraduate and graduate students conducting research that also participate in the NSF HRD, REU, and/or Engineering Directorate Programs.
Employees of Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising or promotional agencies, suppliers, vendors and/or service providers, and their immediate family members or persons living in the same household are not eligible. The Contest is void where prohibited.
3. How to Enter: Participants must go to the Site new.emerging-researchers.org during the Entry Period and follow the onscreen instructions. Participants must (1) produce a video that is (a) original, (b) 60-180 seconds in duration, (c) featuring a scientific concept of the Entrant’s choice, and (d) features closed captioning; then (2) post that video on www.youtube.com or www.vimeo.com (and comply with all rules and regulations of the respective site, including permission to use any music included in the video, as well as rights to show the individuals depicted in the video); and (3) allow AAAS to use the video for publicity. All participants must visit the contest website and complete an online registration form, which will have a form field for the applicable YouTube/Vimeo URL, to enter.
By submitting an entry, you confirm that you have the right, including any required permission of individuals depicted in the video, to publicly display the video. You also confirm that you have the right to incorporate into your video and publicly perform any music accompaniment in the video.
All entries must be received during the Entry Period to be eligible. Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost, or misdirected entries that are not received in a timely manner, or are lost due to computer or electronic malfunction or other error, or due to inaccessibility of the Internet or portions thereof.
4. Additional Rules Relating to the Submission of Videos: By submitting any Video to the Contest, Participants hereby grant to Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries, licensees and assigns, an irrevocable, perpetual and royalty-free right to use, reproduce, edit, display, transmit, prepare derivative works of, modify, publish and otherwise make use of the submitted Video in any and all media, whether now known or hereinafter created, throughout the world and for any purpose. In addition to other things, the rights granted to Sponsor include but are not limited to the right to censor, compress, edit, feature, caption, affix logos to, and to otherwise alter or make use of the submitted video.
In addition, by submitting any video to the Site, Participants hereby represent and warrant that the submitted video or information does not and shall not infringe on any copyright or other right of any third party, and Participant has the right to grant any and all rights and licenses granted to Sponsor herein, including but not limited to all necessary rights under copyright, free and clear of any claims or encumbrances. Sponsor may, but shall have no obligation to, post, display or otherwise make publicly available any video submitted by you, and may, in its sole and unfettered discretion, remove, edit, modify or delete any portion of the video or information that you submit to the Site.
5. Privacy: Information provided to enter the Contest will not be sold to third parties but may be shared as may be necessary for the purposes of conducting and judging the Contest or making use of the submitted video as permitted by these Official Rules. The Sponsor, its affiliates, and companies supplying prizes (or parts thereof) in connection with this Contest may from time to time contact entrants via email concerning the Contest, and each entrant consents to receiving such communications via email.
By submitting any video to the Site, the entrant acknowledges and agrees that any video submitted may be made available for viewing, voting and comment on by the public, and understands that comments with which the entrant disagrees or are unhappy about may be published or otherwise become associated with any submitted video. Entrants hereby waive any privacy expectations that they may have with respect to any video submitted to the Site.
6. Automated Entries Prohibited: No mechanically reproduced, incomplete, forged, software generated or automated multiple entries will be accepted.
7. Winner Selection: Six finalists are selected based on the aggregate of three scores: scientific merit, artistic merit, and creative combination of the science and art. Thus, the best videos will not only insightfully reveal the scientific content of the Entrant’s choice and show artistry to create a compelling spectacle, but will also creatively combine these two aspects in a successful execution. Winning placements among the finalists will be determined through an audience vote during the ERN 2016 conference.
8. Prize Details: Prizes for finalists will consist of a complimentary 1-year AAAS student membership and a cash prize per category of $500 for first place, $250 for second place, and $150 for third place.
Three participants from each winning group will receive travel awards to the 2016 ERN Conference.
9. General Prize Conditions: Potential Winners will be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility, Release of Liability and Prize Acceptance Form (collectively, the “Prize Claim Documents”). If a Winner fails or refuses to sign and return the Prize Claim Documents within three (3) days of prize notification, the Winner may be disqualified. Prizes are not transferable and not assignable. No substitutions of prizes will be allowed, except Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize(s) of comparable or greater value in the event a prize or any portion thereof becomes unavailable for any reason. The winner shall be solely responsible for all taxes and fees or costs associated with the prize, including but not limited to any federal or state or other income tax, ground transportation (except as expressly stated above), meals (except as expressly stated above), gratuities, personal expenses and any other expenses not expressly specified herein.
10. Release: Acceptance of a prize constitutes the prize winner’s permission for Sponsor to use prize winner’s name and likeness for advertising and/or promotional purposes worldwide and in all forms of media in perpetuity without further compensation or authorization.
Participants agree that Sponsor and its affiliates, and their officers, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the Sponsoring Entities”), shall not be responsible for any losses, damages or injuries of any kind resulting from participation in the Contest or from Participants’ acceptance, receipt, possession and/or use or misuse of any prize.
Participants also agree that the Sponsoring entities have not made and shall not in any manner be liable for any warranty, guarantee, or representation, whether express or implied, with respect to any prize, including without limitation, the prize’s quality or fitness for a particular purpose. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who is found to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or the Site, to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, or who otherwise takes actions that do or are intended to disrupt or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest. Sponsor also reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any entry containing any obscene, offensive or otherwise inappropriate comments or other matter.
11. Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules shall be governed and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the District of Columbia without regard to the choice of law provisions thereof.
12. Name of Winner: For the name of winners, refer to new.emerging-researchers.org